Denmark 101 – Leaving Danish Babies Outside – Ep. 32

Category : Parenting
Denmark 101 – Leaving Danish Babies Outside – Ep. 32by Roxy-Publishingon.Denmark 101 – Leaving Danish Babies Outside – Ep. 32Have you heard the stories about Danish parents leaving their young children in strollers outside while they enjoy a coffee or do some light shopping? Those stories are true and the focus of this episode of Denmark 101. The NY story I mention: “A 14-month-old girl who was taken away from her parents after being […]

Denmark 101 - Leaving Danish Babies Outside - Ep. 32

The NY story I mention:
“A 14-month-old girl who was taken away from her parents after being left alone in her stroller outside an East Village restaurant while her parents dined was ordered returned to her mother by a Family Court judge yesterday.”

Stay tuned for future updates or catch up on past episodes here:

Explore the stories behind these moving images at http://virtualwayfarer.com.

Where you can find me:

BLOG – http://www.virtualwayfarer.com
FACEBOOK- http://www.facebook.com/virtualwayfarer
INSTAGRAM – http://instagram.com/virtualwayfarer
TWITTER – http://twitter.com/AlexBerger
Video Rating: / 5

“I’m definitely aware of being his baba.”

Check out more awesome videos at BuzzFeedVideo!

GET MORE BUZZFEED:
www.buzzfeed.com/videoteam
www.facebook.com/buzzfeedvideo
www.instagram.com/buzzfeedvideo
www.buzzfeed.com/video
www.youtube.com/buzzfeedvideo
www.youtube.com/buzzfeedyellow
www.youtube.com/buzzfeedblue
www.youtube.com/buzzfeedviolet

BUZZFEED VIDEO
BuzzFeed Motion Picture’s flagship channel. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious, always shareable. New videos posted daily! Subscribe to BuzzFeedVideo today! http://bit.ly/YTbuzzfeedvideo

MUSIC
Terracotta / Beyond The Hedge / Look Around / Building Time / Strut Yo Stuff / Do It Sneaky / Bright And Breezey
Licensed via Warner Chappell Production Music Inc.

SFX provided by Audioblocks.
(https://www.Audioblocks.com)

Made by BFMP www.buzzfeed.com/videoteam
Dashiell Lippman
Twitter @TeaMichelle

Michelle Tea

Michelle Tea

STILLS
Lydia Daniller

Related Posts

35 Responses

1. CB BCApril 14, 2019 at 8:17 am

lol! Det har jeg ikke set.
    Det er for skør.

2. Spartacus ForlifeApril 14, 2019 at 8:42 am

U.k. parents used to regularly put babies outside to get fresh air up to the 80,s. It also used to be a regular custom to leave bedroom windows open during the night

3. RedRam IpsenApril 14, 2019 at 8:45 am

Trust me when i say that if you as much as lay a hand on a child in the wrong way here in Denmark you get pretty much beaten to death in prison by gangs or bikers

4. Wandering NatureApril 14, 2019 at 9:21 am

To what low temperature? Love the idea, I turn the heat off at night in the winter to sleep, great for immune system.

5. anastasia46April 14, 2019 at 10:12 am

I wouldn't leave my dog outside a store by itself.   and that danish woman came to nyc and left her child outside the restaurant even though the restaurant staff told her to bring the stroller inside, then the cops came because of the child and told her it is against our laws to leave a child unattended. she must have done something crazy because she ended up in jail for a few days.   now she is trying to sell a book here saying that danish people leave their babies outside on the street and so she should be able to do it in NYC.  We dont care what you do in in Denmark.  While you are here, follow the laws of the place you are in.  Show some damn respect for where you are.   The population of denmark is under 7 million for the whole country.  The population of copenhagen is about 1 million.  The population of NYC is over 8 million.  If somebody snatches your baby in NYC, do you really think you will find that baby so easily?

6. In Actis Esto VolucrisApril 14, 2019 at 10:25 am

Who would want to steal a baby? No,there is no such luck,you spend 18 years getting rid of them instead,

7. dlwatibApril 14, 2019 at 11:07 am

I wonder if there have been any health studies to see if there are any advantages or disadvantages. Any higher or lower incidence of asthma, for example?

In the US, when I was growing up my parents didn't put me outside, but they did feel that the heat should be turned off at night. As a result, us kids slept in sometimes very chilly bedrooms, with ice on the insides of the windows.

We also grew up not worrying about things getting stolen. Most of the time we left both our houses and our cars unlocked. Not any more!

8. Alex KühneApril 14, 2019 at 11:12 am

I believe all Danish babies are sleeping outside most days a year. Mine was. It's healthy for them and the risc is so little that something would happen.

9. Mister MoodApril 14, 2019 at 11:29 am

i could never do that if i had a toddler or an infant.

10. Arne LidmarkApril 14, 2019 at 11:34 am

It´s better for a kid´s health to be outside in fresh air, than inside and cold air is good for their development. I was sleeping outside, even in the winter, as a baby, in Sweden, where the winters are colder than in Denmark.

11. jesper jørgensenApril 14, 2019 at 12:21 pm

If you did steal a kid there would be a national manhunt, and you would probably get killed in jail. Just saying

12. Jens Erik BechApril 14, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I remember 60 years ago a childless woman lifted a baby from a stroller. The entire nation was on the look out, and the baby was quickly found in great condition. Then the focus went to feeling sorry for the woman, who's heart had made her "borrow" the baby.
    And I remember an American male 60 years ago who lost his mind on a danish café, by watching the strange behaviour around him. He went up, grabbed his gun and started to shoot without sense around in the room, where the danes hid behind the tables. Nobody got hurt! Finally he shot himself. What was it that gave him such a cultural chock?

13. Ave MarieApril 14, 2019 at 1:29 pm

One of my first memories was from a stroler in my daycare. I was the only one my age that was still 'put to sleep'. I remember looking up on all the other strollers and looking to playground with an enorm amount of sadness xD We were only half outside though, a kind of shed I guess you could call it. But yes very common to place babies outside, it can also just be your own garden. It is recomended from our health services when we get children to put them there…. Why, I dont know. It might be good for their lungs? hmm

14. skvakagudApril 14, 2019 at 2:03 pm

If you are from a country that is safe enough to do it, which Denmark is. (Chances are you are like.. 100.000 times more likely to die in a car crash, than get baby-napped here.) Then I think it's great! Fresh air is always better, and the parents get a little break so to speak. Ofcourse alert that the baby is okay. But still! 🙂 And yes I was "left" outside as a baby all the time, and had most of my naps outside from what I know. 🙂

15. TheLadySakaiApril 14, 2019 at 2:35 pm

yeap I was a few hour old when my mum put me in the baby carriage to sleep / nap out in the garden, I was born at home.
    I have two sons and they have both slept outside (nap in the mornings and afternoon) no matter the weather, we just dress the kids accordingly. Also as mentioned if we go shopping and or cafe and the child is sleeping we dont pull them up we let them sleep and keep an eye on them. If somene sees the child has woken they will often stick their heads in the door and give a shout so we help eachother out.
    Its normal in denmark cant see anything wrong with it.

16. FaeiiApril 14, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Stop forcing female things upon your child when clearly he knows he is a boy.

17. Thomas SouzaApril 14, 2019 at 4:11 pm

I knew a man who lived with his gay dad when the parents divorced. He said it was hell. As a child, he was subjected to constantly in on his father sucking on strange men on a daily basis. I can;'t even conceived a child having to deal with that. When he got into junior high, his father started bringing boys home to meet. He was really creeped out, but by high school, the father started bringing home men. He moved out right after graduation. He said he was so f—cked for years because his father was relentless trying to convince him he was gay when he was NOT. He said no amount of counseling will ever undo what his father did to him. He felt it was sexual abuse. No one cares if you want to walk around with a stick in your ass, but when you are so sick, you for children who are unable to protect themselves you should be sent to prison. The end

18. M1 L0April 14, 2019 at 4:56 pm

I DARE everyone who says this is CHILD ABUSE to explain WHY

19. BrandonApril 14, 2019 at 4:57 pm

God why would you wanna be near that thing with the short hair

20. BrandonApril 14, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Oof yikes

21. Nighthawk 121April 14, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Retards are taking over

22. M1 L0April 14, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I don’t even want to begin to read the comments, know you, be you, love yourself and don’t hurt anyone

23. Brian HoneycuttApril 14, 2019 at 6:32 pm

To those that say this is child abuse – why? What specifically are you thinking of as abuse? I don't see that at all. I am a child therapist trained to report abuse and am familiar with a wide variety of forms of abuse. These parents aren't telling their child who they should be or how they should identify, they are simply providing examples and information about how different people 'do' identify.

24. ESCswedenApril 14, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Ew chid abuse

25. Reece WatsonApril 14, 2019 at 7:15 pm

The amount of likes do not match up with the amount of negative comments. Is BuzzFeed creating accounts for likes or are there actually 54,000 mentally ill people who can't explain how wrong this method of parenting is??!!

26. fadwa boushakiApril 14, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Is it just me or there are only mentally ills on buzzfeed?

27. Manny CalaveraApril 14, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Child abuse

28. R. WhitakerApril 14, 2019 at 8:16 pm

What a beautiful family ❤️

29. Will BadenApril 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Child abuse

30. tucker12435April 14, 2019 at 9:11 pm

I came out to my fiancé after watching Bohemian Rhapsody last December. I told her that I want to experience my feminine side and one day I might decide to transition into a woman. She has always supported me and says she will love me forever but I’m scared of losing her. and just today she was asking me what our future children will call me.

31. Kylie EApril 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm

If a male likes female things, or a female likes male things, that doesn't mean your gender is different…?…. And as far as the kids, they only know what you teach them. I kinda feel like parents push being trans or non gender conforming on their kids because that's how they are. Or in some cases, the mother wanted a girl and ended up giving birth to a boy so they push all these "girl clothes and toys" on their son and confused him into thinking he is a girl and got the wrong body…
    I feel so bad for kids. They can't choose to stay up late on a school night or buy cigarettes but they can choose their gender! SMH.

32. Antoinette ManiscalcoApril 14, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Seems like they are on their own with this… son has no interest

33. Antoinette ManiscalcoApril 14, 2019 at 11:00 pm